Thursday, October 15, 2009

World Freelance Domination

TIME: 5:39pm
JOBS APPLIED FOR: 1
CUPS OF TEA: 2 (and working on the third)
DAILY QUOTE: The line it is drawn/The curse it is cast/The slow one now/Will later be fast/As the present now/Will later be past/The order is/Rapidly fadin'. (Bob Dylan)


So, your intrepid entrepreneur (did I spell it right that time, Susy Pow?) has some work. Meaningful work!

Now, don't get too excited. I don't mean to toot my own toy horn too loudly. (Blackbird Corner - I demand you stock toy horns, I want one to toot when it is finally warranted!) This work is paid, yes, but will be infrequent and small. Still - my parade is raging and I'm hesitant to invite undue storm clouds.

The work in question is a freelancing gig that will extend throughout 2010 with Filter Magazine, a publication put out (generally quarterly) by the Australian Network for Arts and Technology. They've already published one of my articles - a piece about Bird In The Hand Zine Shop and zine culture.

They've asked me to extend this piece and contribute to existing content in this issue. They've also said they're interested in picking up articles throughout next year, and what's more, they don't expect me to pen for free. I'll have some control over content and direction and can write on things that interest me.

I should add here - and I know it seems greasy, but I'm actually being genuine - I'm pretty excited about working with editor Amanda Matulick. She's crazy fast at turning edits around.

It has been some time since I've had such a wicked self esteem kick. TINA was a big hit, but this is even better.

Though this will not pay the bills, and though I'm a cynical lass who wears atheistic secular fierceness like a deep tissue tattoo, I can't help but feel my inner universe whispering yes, you're heading in the right direction. Keep writing. This is what you're supposed to be doing.

(Ugh, ok. That does sound a bit Eckhart Tolle for my liking.)

'Tis my birthday tomorrow, too. Direction and self-belief - what a lovely parcel to unwrap.

No comments:

Post a Comment